What’s in a name? That which we call a “blog” by any other name … would still be fun to read? 🙂 Shakespearean scholar I am not (beyond reading and loving the Bard like any good English major), but cooking expert I can’t claim to be, either. So, I decided to call this blog “Galley Kitchen Gal” for a few reasons:
One, it’s alliterative-ish, and this Reading / ELA teacher loves her some alliteration.
Two, it mentions my narrow galley kitchen — something, I’m willing to bet, a lot of apartment-dwellers deal with in one way or another. If my sister can call hers the “midgie kitchie,” I’d wager that a lot of us new home- or apt-dwellers and, thus, new kitchen-managers are dealing with tight spaces, a general lack of storage (salute), and a need for creativity.
Three, the word “gal” springs to mind in the way that my grandparents’ generation used to use the word “broad.” Your “gals” are your people. Your gals are your means of support, your comrades, your lease co-signers and your fellow adventurers. When it comes to sharing what I’ve learned and building a space for all of us to come together, learn to cook, and genuinely love the process, I’m your gal.
So … who is this Galley Kitchen Gal, anyway?
- A 20-something DC-area resident with a cute galley kitchen in her apartment
- An amateur chef / cook / wannabe cookbook editor
- A middle school English teacher with far more books than shoes
- Your new friend in the world of cookery
Okay … but what’s this blog all about?
- Adventure! Excitement! (“A Jedi craves not these things” … but she may crave hummus and pita from time to time)
- Taking culinary risks and trying new recipes
- Becoming a “chef” and stocking your kitchen on a budget
- Learning to cook and eat with nutrition, seasonal ingredients, and “whole foods” in mind
- Exploring DC-area eats, including restaurant reviews and farmers market tips
- Often unnecessary pop culture references. I hope you’re a fan of the ’80s and ’90s, friends.
- Enjoying this beautiful life, both in and out of the kitchen.
Welcome! I hope you’ll stay a while. Peek through past entries, follow my RSS feed via email, or just take a peek or two. I promise you’ll find something that tickles your fancy (and your taste buds). Happy eating!