It’s been quite some time since I examined my Pinned recipes (which number in the hundreds … oy!), but an easy-looking dish caught my eye. Ham, egg, simple preparation? I’m in! It’s time for … another Pinterest Challenge!
This time around, I was on the hunt for a simple recipe for a weeknight dinner. I was also in the mood for something lean and protein-eriffic, and these Ham and Egg Cups definitely fit the bill. While the original link seems to have disintegrated (I believe it’s originally sourced from Babble.com), the recipe is described in the Pin itself. Here’s the pic, which looked sufficiently drool-worthy for me to Pin it in the first place.
Essentially, according to the Pin’s caption, the recipe boiled down to these simple steps:
- Line each section of a muffin tin with a slice of ham or turkey
- Crack an egg into each “ham cup.”
- Sprinkle the top with spices and other toppings (cheese, veggies, etc.)
- Bake until the egg is cooked through to your liking / to basic standards of food safety. (Unless you’re French, and you like raw eggs on top of your steak tartare).
So, I gave it a shot! You can check out my eggy goodness in the first picture, or right here:
This recipe was a tasty, simple meal that could easily be made as healthful (or as not-so-healthful) as you choose. For that flexibility and ease of preparation, here’s my rating: 4 out of 5 Pinterest P’s.
Here’s the recipe for this great little dish. Use it as a supplement to a brunch buffet, a quick weekend lunch, or a light but filling supper. Serve with other breakfast fixins (hash browns, perhaps, or pancakes!) or, as I did last week, steamed broccoli (or another veggie) for an ultra-lean but nutritious meal. Happy Eating!
Ham and Egg Cups – serves 4 or more; 1-2 eggs per person
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices of deli ham or deli turkey
- Additional spices (recommended: salt, pepper, dill and/or garlic powder)
- Additional toppings (try spinach and feta for a Greek twist, or diced onions and peppers for a South-of-the-Border feel)
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a muffin tin lightly with Pam or other cooking spray.
- Line the cups of the muffin tin with slices of ham; you should be able to fit 1 slice in each cup, like a coffee filter. Crack individual eggs into each ham cup; then, top with desired spices and toppings.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through to your liking.
What are your favorite egg dishes? Does this sort of breakfast-esque concoction appeal to you, or are you guys more into traditional scrambles, omelets and Benedicts?