Love pizza? (Who am I kidding? If you didn’t love pizza, I suspect you wouldn’t be on this pizza-loving woman’s blog.)
Don’t have the time to roll out fresh dough or whip up your own? (I.e. like every 20-something on a weeknight.)
Hunting through your fridge for some semblance of nutritious food, and coming up a bit short? (Again, like a lot of us. Unless you work at Whole foods. I bet their employee discount is ridiculous.)
Here’s a meal that will satisfy you, oh patient diner who answered my questions. This Tortilla Pizza can be as nutritious as you desire, or as wholly-and-fabulously-bad-for-you as you make it. Vegetarian, carnivorous, omnomnomnivorious, it’s up to you. (As Olmec would say, “The choices are yours, and yours alone!”) Fun, simple, customizable and tasty — what’s not to like?
Tortilla Pizza — serves 2, but easily tripled, doubled or more
- Four whole wheat or white medium-sized tortillas (use smaller tortillas for a lower-calorie option)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan and Romano cheese, to taste
- Seasonings and toppings of your choosing (THT likes pepperoni and mushrooms; I like ‘shrooms and baby spinach)
- Optional: 2 tbsp pesto sauce
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F. Place two tortillas side by side on an ungreased baking sheet. Spread tortillas with a small amount of tomato or pesto sauce. Top with 1/4 cup cheese each; then, place another tortilla on top.
- Spread remaining tomato sauce atop each double-decker “pizza.” Add additional mozzarella and toppings.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until pizza crust is crispy and cheese is melted and slightly bubbly. (HINT: To really brown and bubble up your cheese, broil the pizza for an additional 3-4 minutes. Watch carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn!)
Yup. That’s it. And they’re so tasty! The double-layered tortillas add some heft to the meal, and the time-saving nature of your pre-cooked “crust” keeps things from They make such an easy weeknight meal, and could be served at a party if you cut them into appetizer-sized wedges. A few tips for flavors, sauces and ideas:
- Use a bechamel sauce, Fontina cheese, ham, chopped rosemary, and caramelized onions for a glam-o white pizza.
- Use exclusively pesto and top with spinach, chopped tomatoes, and a little bit of feta for a Greek influence.
- Sun-dried tomatoes (sliced thinly — if they’re whole, you’ll be chewing those tomatoes for your entire meal), a thin layer of cheese, and sliced prosciutto could be excellent. Mmm!
Enjoy, and happy eating! What are your favorite weeknight quick meals? How do you whip up your favorite simple meals?